STEMOur STEM curriculum is enquiry based, fully inclusive and meets the needs of all learners, starting from building strong foundations in our EYFS, supporting and challenging them on their journey to being secondary ready, and ultimately ensuring that they are equipped with the cultural capital, skills and knowledge they need to succeed in the future.
Meet our STEM Coordinator
Our vision for STEM is to provide students with a learning environment conducive to exploring science, technology, engineering and maths through engaging learning experiences within the classroom. Children need to be exposed to a wide variety of skills and concepts. We need to provide students with an experiential education that excites, engages, and enriches children.
STEM is important at Biggin Hill Academy because it’s part of our everyday life. Science is everywhere in the world around us. Technology is continuously expanding into every aspect of our lives. Engineering is the basic designs of roads and bridges but also tackles the challenges of changing global weather and environmentally-friendly changes to our home. Mathematics is in every occupation and every activity we do in our lives.â€¯By exposing our students to STEM and giving them opportunities to explore STEM-related concepts, they will develop a passion for it and hopefully pursue a job in a STEM field.
- To inspire and engage children.
- To enable children to have a more productive education.
- Children need to be good problem solvers, they must also have the ability to clarify and condense their thoughts.
- To create an environment that provides opportunities to motivate and encourage all our students to become lifelong learners.
- To introduce the basic concepts of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics at the school level.
- To engage students interest in Science and Engineering.
- To install mini Science activities and challenges to make learning more practical, fun-loving, and easy to understand for students.
- STEM activities provide hands-on and minds-on lessons for the students, making maths and science both fun and interesting.
- Children are provided with the foundations required to understand the world around them and the impact advances in science has upon technology.